Thursday, July 7, 2011

You'll Never Walk Alone

In an earlier post, I wrote about Prayer--talking to God. I'm not sure, but I think I failed to mention that songs can also be a form of prayer. When I am feeling down or feel the need to be alone with God, I often turn to music as often times, the words can be so powerful. Let me share with you one of my favorites and how it saved my life:

"You Never Walk Alone" I used to hear this song all of the time while growing up and never really paid attention to the words. I have a tendency towards depression and while in college went through a very dark period and I was contemplating suicide. Actually, I was pretty sure I was going to do it and decided to go to church one last time.

I attended on campus at the Ecumenical Centerand did attend regularly. It always amazed me how packed the Catholic services were with students. The music was always great and the words to the songs were always very special to me.

Normally, instead of a choir, we had "song leaders" which were in the front and consisted of several vocalists with the most beautiful voices, guitars, flutes, piano and I can't remember for sure but I think drums and a horn. On this particular Sunday, there was a guest vocalist. I very clearly remember sitting there with my head down and tears flowing from my eyes because I was so sad and felt I knew what I needed to do to get rid of the pain in was in. All of a sudden, I heard the words, "When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high and don't be afraid of the dark. At the end of the dark is a golden sky..." I remember slowly looking up and realized that God was speaking to me! Now I had heard this in the past but never heard it in a Catholic Church and as I stated, had never paid attention to the words. But all of a sudden, the meaning of this song was very clear to me and I feel that God put me there to pull me out of my depression and to remind me that he ws there beside me all along. That I am never alone. That realization honestly came to me in a matter of seconds and it was crystal clear.

I guess you could say this is my favorite song  and I refer to it as "the song that saved me". To me, those words are so  powerful and to this day, it is still my "go to" song when I am going through a rough period and need a reminder of God's love.

Other favorites (in no particular order):
How Great is Our God
Hear My Heart
Be Not Afraid
Here I am Lord
God is So Good
We Shall Behold Him
What a Friend we have in Jesus

These are just a few (all of these can be down loaded from ITunes)

I would love to hear about some of yours and if there is a story behind it that you would like to share, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment